[Mondo-devel] missing mindi-busybox.deb in Ubuntu 16.04
Jim R
2016-10-17 00:46:20 UTC
Hi Bruno,

I am wondering why there is no mindi-busybox.deb in the Ubuntu 16.04
directory on the ftp site.

This question is the result of my mistake, I had a working mondorescue
system until I upgraded the 16.04 . Unfortunately I upgraded my Xubuntu
16.04 when I was jet lagged and very tired. The upgrade suggested that
I use the apt-get autoremove after the update and I did not notice that
included all of the mondorescue and its dependencies.

I tried to download the version from 16.04 but no .deb file. I tried
using the mindi-busybox_1.21.1-1.tar.gz but it failed with errors in the
make stage.

I also tried read up on the creation of .deb files but one method seemed
to suggest that "make " had to work before trying the creation of the
.deb files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Best Wishes
Jim R
Bruno Cornec
2016-10-17 10:06:08 UTC
Hello,
Post by Jim R
I am wondering why there is no mindi-busybox.deb in the Ubuntu 16.04
directory on the ftp site.
Becasue the current version based on 1.12 doesn't compile cleanly on
recent distributions :-(

So I have 2 paths there:
- work on a backport for 1.12 to fix the compilation issues
- push a more recent version that will also be incompatible with older
distributions (10+ years old), except if I find a patch to make them
work as well.

Among the old distros we have RHEL5. It means that people will have to
stay on an older version of mindi-busybox (not an issue per se) as long
as I keep compatibility of mindi with both the new an old version of
mindi-busybox.

What does this community think ? I know I have users using old versions of
distros, including in production, so your opinion is expected here.

Bruno.
--
Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead http://www.hpintelco.net
HPE EMEA EG FLOSS Technology Strategist http://www.hpe.com/engage/opensource
Musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org
Bruno Cornec
2016-10-17 10:29:05 UTC
Post by Bruno Cornec
Becasue the current version based on 1.12 doesn't compile cleanly on
recent distributions :-(
I meant 1.21.

Bruno.
Kalchik, Jeffery
2016-10-17 13:25:01 UTC
(yes, 1.21.....)

Here's a vote for compatibility. I use EL5 and El6 based distros, only recently got moving on EL7. I'll be maintaining EL5 based systems for some time yet.

Jeff Kalchik
Systems Engineering
Land O'Lakes

Open Source Profession, WW Linux Community Lead https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpintelco.net&data=01%7C01%7Cjdkalchik%40landolakes.com%7C077762565a7d4ad08da708d3f675ce6e%7C21ab97d78e754056826b9d8ec665c5a3%7C1&sdata=pwxTxV7xZ9DTbXw%2Bcj9uYWMA7AWnsaTuWScqMK85Qn8%3D&reserved=0
HPE EMEA EG FLOSS Technology Strategist https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpe.com%2Fengage%2Fopensource&data=01%7C01%7Cjdkalchik%40landolakes.com%7C077762565a7d4ad08da708d3f675ce6e%7C21ab97d78e754056826b9d8ec665c5a3%7C1&sdata=VgnVcvetTkHW7Igi8hHd%2Foa1hx%2Bwul94u%2Fd0eqmvs2w%3D&reserved=0
FLOSS projects: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmondorescue.org&data=01%7C01%7Cjdkalchik%40landolakes.com%7C077762565a7d4ad08da708d3f675ce6e%7C21ab97d78e754056826b9d8ec665c5a3%7C1&sdata=eVLa5AJhJH7ClbMFXrSHqEFOTP0LIHhxQCUUzynpHDw%3D&reserved=0 https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fproject-builder.org&data=01%7C01%7Cjdkalchik%40landolakes.com%7C077762565a7d4ad08da708d3f675ce6e%7C21ab97d78e754056826b9d8ec665c5a3%7C1&sdata=ih7VId9Xyxs9KR%2Bb5Npu0cS%2FV%2Fftcbkfq1EDcmHNKoI%3D&reserved=0
Musique ancienne? https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.musique-ancienne.org&data=01%7C01%7Cjdkalchik%40landolakes.com%7C077762565a7d4ad08da708d3f675ce6e%7C21ab97d78e754056826b9d8ec665c5a3%7C1&sdata=li0AOMlRh%2F1cX7nzPSmPL1phjgtahSHPzSU3rPo78W0%3D&reserved=0 https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.medieval.org&data=01%7C01%7Cjdkalchik%40landolakes.com%7C077762565a7d4ad08da708d3f675ce6e%7C21ab97d78e754056826b9d8ec665c5a3%7C1&sdata=tWAzqlHv417cTL4KkKqVxT884HD%2B%2B%2F2XNeafe4ss4eQ%3D&reserved=0

Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdm.link%2Fslashdot&data=01%7C01%7Cjdkalchik%40landolakes.com%7C077762565a7d4ad08da708d3f675ce6e%7C21ab97d78e754056826b9d8ec665c5a3%7C1&sdata=Wew1CwCq0MNgfsZNwrr%2Bkk%2BijOruMUBhkduq1e%2BdY84%3D&reserved=0
This message may contain confidential material from Land O'Lakes, Inc. (or its subsidiary) for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may not be reviewed, disclosed, copied, distributed or used by anyone other than the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.
Jim R
2016-10-22 20:01:33 UTC
Hello,

I also agree on the need for compatibility but I also would like a way
of being able to use Mondorescue with Xubuntu 16.04, which incidentally,
I have been using from before the days of the Dapper release.

I have been holding off upgrading other servers to the 16.04 LTS
version, until I have a working version on my Test Server. I thought
that I had a working version, until I screwed up. But now I cannot
download the latest version.

I do not know if this helps or not, the test server originally started
life as 14.04 and upgraded on-line to 16.04, not a clean install. It
seemed to work (after a bit bit fiddling to get the correct versions)
until the 16.04.1 upgrade. I was going to try using the 14.04 version of
mindi-busybox, but I am not sure of the consequences. I was intending to
do a manual download and install.

Best Wishes
Jim R
Bruno Cornec
2016-12-23 19:26:45 UTC
Hello,
Post by Bruno Cornec
Post by Jim R
I am wondering why there is no mindi-busybox.deb in the Ubuntu 16.04
directory on the ftp site.
Becasue the current version based on 1.12 doesn't compile cleanly on
recent distributions :-(
- work on a backport for 1.12 to fix the compilation issues
- push a more recent version that will also be incompatible with older
distributions (10+ years old), except if I find a patch to make them
work as well.
I did that, using 1.25, which turned out to be pretty easy topatch to make it work up to RHEL4 which should be sufficient these days.

So you could try to test the version soon available under ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/ (build in progress).

Bruno.
Jim R
2016-12-26 16:45:33 UTC
Hi Bruno,

Thanks I will try it out today, and Let you know.

I had been following the conversation between yourself and David
Partridge, on my Tablet which had led to several questions. But it may
not be necessary now. I will probably ask later.

But to the important message and sorry it is late.

Hi Bruno, Victor & all forum members,

Hope you all had a good Christmas Break and wishing you all a Happy,
Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

"Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee"

Best Wishes
Jim R

Best Wishes
Jim R
Bruno.
Gattegno, Victor
2017-01-02 14:04:48 UTC
Thanks Jim,

Bonne année également, et bonne santé!

Best wishes,
Victor

Bruno Cornec
2016-12-27 17:35:52 UTC
Hello Jim,
Post by Jim R
I had been following the conversation between yourself and David
Partridge, on my Tablet which had led to several questions. But it may
not be necessary now. I will probably ask later.
Yes, that discussion is very interesting, and I hope David will have time to look at these points and improve the tool.
Post by Jim R
Hope you all had a good Christmas Break and wishing you all a Happy,
Healthy and Prosperous New Year.
Thank you very much Jim ! And I wish also a healthy and happy new year 2017 for all of you on the list.
Post by Jim R
"Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee"
Exactly ;-)

Bruno.
David C. Partridge
2016-12-27 18:53:08 UTC
After many battles with the speed of the tape backup - I gave up :( AFAICT
the problem is simply that it's not possible to get an LTO drive to stream
if you are creating the files to write to the tape at the same time as
writing the tape. Your need to be MANY megabytes ahead with
multithreaded/multiprocess creation of the datastream that's written to the
buffer.

So sad to say I'm looking for another solution.

Dave

Post by Jim R
Hope you all had a good Christmas Break and wishing you all a Happy,
Healthy and Prosperous New Year.
Thank you very much Jim ! And I wish also a healthy and happy new year 2017
for all of you on the list.
Post by Jim R
"Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee"
Exactly ;-)

Bruno.

David C. Partridge
2017-01-04 14:18:06 UTC
Well it's maybe not as bad as I thought. I ran some tests using dd to image
the drive and the best the LTO-2 drive can manage is about 30MBs, so the
backup phase of mondo wasn't a lot slower than dd (over an hour for mondo,
about 55 mins for dd).

However the additional 20 odd minutes waiting for mindi to build the boot CD
every time was just too much for me (colour me impatient if you will).

Now if only one could say build the boot CD this time and then reuse that
image until it was felt necessary to update it, I'd very happily revisit my
decision as it's a bit of a nuisance to boot the server with a live CD to
image the drive using dd.

I also tried using mbuffer rather than buffer. That has the nice feature
that it lets you buffer a lot more data and also displays the state of the
buffer read MB/s, write MB/s and other stats.

Dave

Post by Jim R
Hope you all had a good Christmas Break and wishing you all a Happy,
Healthy and Prosperous New Year.
Thank you very much Jim ! And I wish also a healthy and happy new year 2017
for all of you on the list.
Post by Jim R
"Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee"
Exactly ;-)

Bruno.

Bruno Cornec
2017-01-06 00:31:17 UTC
Hello David,
Post by David C. Partridge
Well it's maybe not as bad as I thought. I ran some tests using dd to image
the drive and the best the LTO-2 drive can manage is about 30MBs, so the
backup phase of mondo wasn't a lot slower than dd (over an hour for mondo,
about 55 mins for dd).
Ok. I prefer that as I was worry there was really something wrong here. (Just used it with DAT drivers and older LTO)
Post by David C. Partridge
However the additional 20 odd minutes waiting for mindi to build the boot CD
every time was just too much for me (colour me impatient if you will).
I can understand that.
Tracked here: http://trac.mondorescue.org/ticket/809
Post by David C. Partridge
I also tried using mbuffer rather than buffer. That has the nice feature
that it lets you buffer a lot more data and also displays the state of the
buffer read MB/s, write MB/s and other stats.
Did you just used it as a bare replacement or did you had to adapt command parameters ?

Bruno.
David C. Partridge
2017-01-06 16:06:44 UTC
It uses different parameters can specify buffer as %age of memory, use
memory mapped file as buffer, lots of good stuff.

But changes needed to accommodate use esp. the error recovery (what to do on
sigpipe etc.)

Dave

David C. Partridge
2017-01-06 16:12:25 UTC
Other stuff found in my trial of mondo :)

Make sure you include dm-mod in the initmg.rd you build so you can see LVM
stuff ...

I have disks with btrfs sub-volumes so my fstab has:

/dev/mapper/Charon--vg-root / btrfs defaults,subvol=@
0 1
/dev/mapper/Charon--vg-root /home btrfs defaults,subvol=@home
0 2

which rather confuses the heck out of mindi and may well mess up the
restore!

Dave

Robert Grasso
2017-01-05 07:48:22 UTC
Hello Bruno,

It has been a while ! Happy New Year, btw !

As I am interested, I just installed your latest test version for Ubuntu
16.04 in a test vm in Virtualbox, and just ran it : it failed, did not
generate any backup; I am attaching the log.
I am in a hurry for work, I will be back in touch this evening.
--
Robert Grasso
@home
Bruno.
Bruno Cornec
2017-01-06 00:26:42 UTC
Happy New year for you too Robert !
Post by Robert Grasso
As I am interested, I just installed your latest test version for
Ubuntu 16.04 in a test vm in Virtualbox, and just ran it : it failed,
did not generate any backup; I am attaching the log.
INFO: Incorporating Network-related settings
Net/IPv4Addr.pm is missing. So a lack of dependency on my deb packages I need to fix
Try installing libnet-ipv4add-perl
Post by Robert Grasso
INFO: Analyzing kernel modules dependencies...
cp: error writing '/scratch//mondo.tmp.4C5iV5/mountpoint.27176//lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7265D-16.ucode': No space left on device
cp: error writing '/scratch//mondo.tmp.4C5iV5/mountpoint.27176//lib/firmware/iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode': No space left on device
So you don't have enough space to create the boot media.
Post by Robert Grasso
EXTRA_SPACE = 150000
Try doubling that to see.

Bruno.
Robert Grasso
2017-01-08 20:25:16 UTC
Hello Bruno,

Thanks for your answers, they helped !
I am not feeling very well these days, so this report will not be
throrough - I will send more in the next days .

About dependencies : i did not write down all that happened, sorry :-( I
wil install a new vm from scratch later. But at least :

ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/mondorescue-test.sources.list
did not work, so I downloaded the packages by hand :

wget \
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/mondo_3.3.0-0.20161223223857.s3640M_amd64.deb
\
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/mindi_3.3.0-0.20161223223857.s3640M_amd64.deb
\
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/mindi-busybox_1.25.1-1_amd64.deb
\
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/test/ubuntu/16.04/libmondorescue-perl_3.3.0-0.20161223223857.s3640M_all.deb

various packages where still missing : from my shell history :
- I installed buffer from the Ubuntu repository
- I took afio here :
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/ubuntu/16.04/afio_2.5-1_amd64.deb
-
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/ubuntu/14.04/libprojectbuilder-perl_0.14.2-1_all.deb
was needed too

and in the logs, I noticed that lzop was needed too (this one I noticed
!) so I installed it by hand
as I installed mondo alone the first time with dpkg, it was left broken.
So I run finally

apt-get -f install (which installed various other packages, but I was
installing nfs-common too, so it is all mixed up here)

and then mondoarchive worked !

About EXTRA_SPACE : 150000 was not enough, I doubled it again to 300000,
and then the backup ran just fine.

About the missing network Perl package : it's real name is :
libnetwork-ipv4addr-perl

Now, trying to restore one file : knowing that my backup command is :

mondoarchive -g -On nfs://power4:/backup_rubedo -N -d tharv/`date
+'%Y%U'` -p "tharv-full-`date +'%Y%m%d'`" -s 20g -L -S /scratch/ -T
/scratch/ -V

the final backup directory and archive being

/backup_rubedo/tharv/201701/tharv-full-20170106-1.iso

I tried the following restore command :

mondorestore -g -n nfs://power4:/backup_rubedo -d tharv/201701 -p
tharv-full-20170106

which exited almost immediately with a segmentation fault. i am
attaching the log

What did I do wrong this time ?
--
Robert Grasso
@home
Post by Robert Grasso
INFO: Analyzing kernel modules dependencies...
cp: error writing '/scratch//mondo.tmp.4C5iV5/mountpoint.27176//lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7265D-16.ucode': No space left on device
cp: error writing '/scratch//mondo.tmp.4C5iV5/mountpoint.27176//lib/firmware/iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode': No space left on device
So you don't have enough space to create the boot media.
Post by Robert Grasso
EXTRA_SPACE = 150000
Try doubling that to see.
Bruno.
Bruno Cornec
2017-01-13 00:40:39 UTC
Hello,
Post by Robert Grasso
and in the logs, I noticed that lzop was needed too (this one I
noticed !) so I installed it by hand
Humm. It's only recommended on Debian, so shouldn't be mandatory.
Post by Robert Grasso
libnetwork-ipv4addr-perl
Thanks ! Fixed now.
Post by Robert Grasso
mondorestore -g -n nfs://power4:/backup_rubedo -d tharv/201701 -p
tharv-full-20170106
which exited almost immediately with a segmentation fault. i am
attaching the log
What did I do wrong this time ?
Nothing :-( it may be on my side.

Could you run on your system the follwoing command:

cdrecord -scanbus
If it doesn't work do
modprobe sg
and try it again.
If that work, then try again mondorestore.

Please report results of all steps.
TIA,
Bruno.
Robert Grasso
2017-01-13 07:42:09 UTC
Hello,

cdrecord -scanbus worked immeditely : here is the output :

***@robert-VirtualBox:~# cdrecord -scanbus
scsibus1:
1,0,0 100) 'VBOX ' 'CD-ROM ' '1.0 ' Removable CD-ROM
1,1,0 101) *
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *
scsibus2:
2,0,0 200) 'ATA ' 'VBOX HARDDISK ' '1.0 ' Disk
2,1,0 201) *
2,2,0 202) *
2,3,0 203) *
2,4,0 204) *
2,5,0 205) *
2,6,0 206) *
2,7,0 207) *
--
Robert Grasso
@home
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
Post by Bruno Cornec
Hello,
Post by Robert Grasso
and in the logs, I noticed that lzop was needed too (this one I
noticed !) so I installed it by hand
Humm. It's only recommended on Debian, so shouldn't be mandatory.
Post by Robert Grasso
libnetwork-ipv4addr-perl
Thanks ! Fixed now.
Bruno.
Chloe
2017-04-12 17:13:04 UTC
Hi

I have installed mindi-busybox 1.21 rpm package and mindi3.0.2 package on
centos 6 but when I explicitly run mindi command, it displays the error i.e.
ERROR:please install mindi-busy box.

Running rpm -qa | grep mindi returns mindi and mindi busy box but when I
locate minding-busybox it only shows /usr/share/doc directory.

Can anyone guide me in this regard?

Any word in this regard will be of worth.

Thankss.

Bruno Cornec
2017-04-14 13:06:25 UTC
Post by Chloe
I have installed mindi-busybox 1.21 rpm package and mindi3.0.2 package on
centos 6 but when I explicitly run mindi command, it displays the error i.e.
ERROR:please install mindi-busy box.
Running rpm -qa | grep mindi returns mindi and mindi busy box but when I
locate minding-busybox it only shows /usr/share/doc directory.
Can anyone guide me in this regard?
wget ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/6/x86_64/mindi-busybox-1.21.1-1.rhel6.x86_64.rpm
rpm -qlp mindi-busybox-1.21.1-1.rhel6.x86_64.rpm
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/linuxrc
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/[
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/[[
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/ar
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/ash
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/awk
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/base64
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/basename
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/bunzip2
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/busybox
/usr/lib64/mindi/rootfs/usr/bin/bzcat
[...]